Monday, September 25, 2017

Another day in paradise


I've just walked out of Tesco, to pick up some essentials for breakfast the next day. I'm tense from the morning. Dad's in hospital in Kerala, diagnosed with dengue. I'm worried for him and feeling limited, not able to be there and help. I'm slightly annoyed and feeling a bit sorry for myself and confused. 

She sits in the street under the shade of a postbox. I see her and think about crossing over to the other side of the road to avoid interacting with her. 

Her face wears a weather beaten expression, sun browned with slightly distant eyes. Like she's looking into someplace past the here and now. I decide to walk over instead, and I ask her if she'd like some food. A nod and a strangled whisper - Yes. I dig into my bag, offer her the three bananas I have in it. She takes them, keeps them in her bag (I can see she has some nectarines in it). She makes a finger gesture that looks a bit like a '2'. I silently wonder if she's asking me for money. 

'Sorry?' I say. In a slightly unfamiliar tone - almost  as if she's testing out the words, she responds: 'Thenk you'. My heart goes out. I want to hug her and talk to her. Find out how she got here, ask her if there's anything I can do to help. 

Instead, I nod and walk away. 

I want to go back, offer her understanding and a listening ear. Something tells me she hasn't had that in a while. I don't turn back. I keep walking ahead, straight to the H&M in Brixton, and browse clothing.

No comments: